A common question guests ask us is “what essential items should I pack for my trip to Belize?” The answer varies largely depending on two things: your personal travel style and the time of year you visit us. Below, we’ll talk about standard Belize weather conditions and describe some of our top Belize travel packing list items. Scroll down to the bottom to download your free copy of a travel packing list and pre-trip checklist. Just joining us for a day tour? Check out our guide on what to wear for horseback riding.
The weather in Belize is tropical, meaning it’s warm and humid year round. Note that these are weather generalizations so you should always check the current weather forecast before your trip. Generally speaking, weather patterns in Belize are as follows:
High Season (Dec–Apr)
- This is arguably the “best” time of year to visit Belize
- The peak tourist season in Belize is from December through January; reservations are essential.
- February through April will see lots of clear, sunny skies
Low Season (May–Nov)
- Our rainy season lasts from June to November
- There are significantly fewer tourists during this time period
- Reservations are recommended, but not crucial
Current Weather Conditions in Belize
Belize Packing List
The specific travel items you choose to pack largely depend on your travel style and preference. Regardless of what you choose to pack, is important to prepare for hot, humid weather with lots of direct sunlight and the possibility of rain showers. Below, we’ve listed some essential items to bring on your trip to Belize. If you click on the highlighted links, you’ll be taken to a shopping page that displays a specific item that other guests have recommended. If you buy the product (or any others while browsing) on that page, Hanna Stables receives a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
- Passport + secure neck wallet (more about passport requirements below)
- Money (more about money requirements below)
- Airline tickets
- Prescription medicine
- Motion sickness medication
- Camera, memory card, batteries
- A day pack bag for short excursions
- Cell phone and charging cables
- Portable external battery pack for charging your phone on the go
Important, but Replaceable Travel Items
*Many of these items are available for purchase in Belize
- Toiletries kit for women | men
- Dirty/wet laundry bag
- Insect repellent
- Lightweight rain poncho
- Small waterproof flashlight
- Universal travel adapters (we use the same kinds as in the USA)
The dress attire in Belize is largely casual, although you may want to bring nicer clothes for a fancy dinner. Try to bring clothing that is made of lightweight, breathable material. Leave all fancy jewelry, handbags, watches, etc at home, as they will only impress thieves.
- Jeans, shorts, and hiking pants (long pants recommended for horseback riding)
- Underwear: We love Exofficio’s Give-N-Go briefs for women and men
- Covered shoes (hiking boots)
- Slippers or flip-flops
- Baseball cap or wide-brimmed hat
- Rain poncho or lightweight rain jacket
Water Activities Equipment
- Snorkeling mask
- Diving fins
- Gloves for diving
- Diving shoes
- Tropical wetsuit
- Rash guard or swim shirt
- Waterproof bag
- Waterproof camera
Passports and Visas
Each U.S. citizen must have a valid passport to enter and leave Belize. Passports should be valid for at least 3 months from the day you enter the country, although some countries require that your passport is valid for six to twelve months, so check with your embassy for special requirements. Visas for Guatemala (Tikal) are obtained at the Belize/Guatemala border as you cross, so bring cash with you. If you are going to Honduras (Copan Extension), a tourist visa can be obtained at the airport in Honduras.
Inoculations and Medications
The Belizean Government does not require any immunizations to enter the country but you should check with your physician to make sure you are up to speed with all inoculations. Compazine and Lomotil are often recommended, as well as malaria prevention, which usually begins several weeks before departure. If you suffer from motion sickness, be sure to bring a supply of motion sickness remedies.
U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere in Belize, or Belize dollars can be obtained from any bank or ATM machine. Visa, Mastercard, and American Express credit cards are accepted in major hotels, while smaller shops and hotels often do not accept credit cards. Traveler checks are accepted in most places, although most travelers today do not use them. The Belize currency exchange rate is $1.00 US = $2.00 BZE.
What do you think?
The products and items on this packing list are based on recommendations made by previous guests. Do you have any items or specific products you think we should add to the list? Please let us know!
Free Printable Travel Packing List